According to Wikipedia, a random act of kindness is a selfless act performed by a person or people wishing to either assist or cheer up an individual person or people. This Thanksgiving, I encourage you to be deliberate and plan out random acts of kindness to people who follow you on social networks.
Your followers are people just like yourself who enjoy hearing from a real person. There is a reason that they are reading the content you write. You are providing something that adds value for them. Think about how affirming it is when someone you admire acknowledges you. Here are some ways that you can show appreciation to your followers.
1. Thank them publicly by name. – It can take a long time, but I still recommend thanking everyone who shares your content. By thanking them in the comments or a retweet, you’ll find that many times you’ll be able to start a valuable conversation.
2. Follow them back. – On some networks it is just common courtesy to follow them back. If someone is consistently interacting with your posts, following them back can show them your appreciation.
3. Add them to a “special” list, then share the list. John Paul Aguiar has a great list called 250 Follow Friday Favorite People. This is a great way to honor your followers and show them that they are important to you.
4. Give them exclusive deals. – If you have products you sell, a coupon code or a discount that is exclusive to your followers is a great way to say thank you.
5. Share reader accomplishments. – If a follower launches a new book, gets their article published, or has some other significant accomplishment, mention them. It may […]